Wednesday, December 14, 2011

The First Apollo

I wish I’d kept all my tickets but inevitably, I wasn’t thinking ahead and as a young reckless student, these things get lost. But I went to loads of gigs during my three happy years in Manchester, it’s just a shame that I can’t remember them all. I’ve got quite a few tickets and I have memories of other gigs and have managed to track down dates on the internet so I’ll go through them here, a few at a time, and remember what I can.
Boomtown Rats at Manchester Apollo 13th December 1978
I’d always quite liked The Boomtown Rats despite them being rather too poppy for my taste. Having just had a hit with “Rat Trap” they undertook a “Seasonal Turkey Tour” to celebrate. A good night I’m sure and I think this was probably the first time I’d been to Manchester Apollo. It certainly wouldn’t be the last and was the venue for the best gig I’ve ever been to just over a year later.
Elton John at Manchester Apollo April 25th 1979
I went back to Manchester early after the easter break just to go to this gig. I don’t particularly like what Elton turned into or the music he produced later on in his career but the early stuff stands up well. The gig started with just Elton on stage playing lots of great songs but the gig was transformed half way through when the most excellent percussionist, Ray Cooper joined him. Elton Started playing “Funeral For A Friend” with Ray Cooper joining in part way through, they then segued into “Love Lies Bleeding”. Absolutely stunning.
Judas Priest at Manchester Apollo May 15th 1979
The first gig I ever walked out of. A friend had a spare ticket and persuaded me to go with him, against my better judgement. Too much leather, hair and spandex for my liking and that was just the audience. I should have known what I was in for after the poodle headed, leopard-skin leotarded, support band, whoever they were, came on but I stayed to see the main act. I wish I hadn’t bothered.

No comments:

Post a Comment